A relationship consists of two people coming together to form a union that is its own separate entity. There’s you, there’s them, and then there’s the relationship...both of you together. What qualities are you looking for in this ‘right relationship'?
Relationships are the most difficult human venture. It takes effort in order for them to thrive and meet the needs of its members. Establishing a framework, principles for the relationship, is critical to creating a partnership where the entity and its creators can flourish. Because, if we're pointing in different directions we're not going to be harmonious.
Building awareness around the following will help to create this framework:
- Holding as a priority growing as individuals and as a partnership.
- Cultivating emotional safety within the relationship.
- A commitment to communication and compromise.
- An understanding of and a commitment to nourishing the strengths and maneuvering through the challenges of the partnership.
- Identifying core relationship values, terms and agreements and the devotion to holding them as sacred.
This does not give consideration to everything a relationship needs in order to flourish, but it gives some ideas to ponder within your own relationships. Giving importance to this additional step can make all the difference in whether your relationships can withstand the test of time in a harmonious and fulfilling way.
Honoring your partner's needs and the relationship needs takes awareness and devotion. This is what we do, this is what we don't do, and holding each other to it. Choice by choice we can either due harm to our relationships or we can heal them.